Skip to main content

When it's been two years since your child died and you are still alive

What a bummer... I didn't think I would live this long without you, but I did.

Soon it will be the second anniversary of Xavier's death and what should be his 10th birthday. As we approach this emotional milestone, I feel different. The first year was shock, intense acute grief, guilt, excruciating heartache, disbelief, anger and days where I wanted to eat junk and hide under the blankets with my boxes of Kleenex for as long as I could. That first year and much of the second were really all about survival.

To be honest, I really didn't care whether I lived or died. And my actions reflected this sentiment. I stopped taking care of myself. I stopped eating properly, I became sedentary and stopped caring that my blood sugars and blood pressure were on a constant roller coaster. Managing the barrage of emotions wasn't even a consideration; I was grieving. I was trying to survive on a raindrop's worth of life energy. And just getting out of bed everyday to pretend I was OK, to go about life in autopilot was all I could muster.

Feeling like I was dying or dead inside actually made me feel closer to Xavier. I had no future plans, I had no purpose and I had no goals but to sit in self pity and cry. That was until I realized it's been almost two years now and I am still alive. My grief hasn't killed me yet. It hasn't even kept me in bed for one whole day.

With mixed feelings, I can say I have survived; those first two years of miserable, life sucking and painstaking grief did not kill me (like I may have secretly wanted it to). Instead, I am still here to live this new life. I am stuck here! I am still alive.

So now what?

I have to accept I am going to keep on living despite my loss. I have a conscious choice to make, unlike in the first years when survival was my only choice. I now have to decide if I am going to make this life I can't escape from more enjoyable or miserable. (Although, I still wish it didn't have to be this way at all).

With more joy the faster time goes and before I know it I will be packing my bags to go live with Xavier. This mind shift doesn't mean my grief is gone and I am miraculously healed from this trauma. Quite the contrary. Grief is something you NEVER get over. The death of your child is something you NEVER get over. Losing a piece of yourself is something you NEVER get over. It was just a couple weeks ago where I was really missing Xavier's voice. I had been avoiding watching videos of him for some time now as it is still so painful. But I did it anyways. And tears filled my eyes again, trickling down my face like a spring thaw on a rocky mountainside.

I cried off and on for the rest of that day. The next week, my daughter cried for her brother. She misses him so much and rarely has the chance to talk about Xavier like I do. Her friends don't ask about him like my friends do. So, it doesn't go away. Like the love we have for Xavier, our grief will always be with us.

But, I have decided to choose joy. Starting in January I began taking better care of myself. I was eating my veggies and tracking my blood sugars. I got active and began building new and stronger friendships with people who deeply care about my pain and about my son in Heaven. I am switching off autopilot and taking an active role in my life. This means making future plans, pursuing my career, furthering my education and taking more vacations!

Aside from keeping  my mind off the inevitable second year anniversary, these things give me something to look forward to other than dying to be with Xavier again.

Xavier was always filled with light and love and perhaps if I can find that light and love in life again, it will be like a little piece of him is always with me. That is Xavier's Hope. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding the fire

Buried deep within my soul is a fire. It burns slowly; smouldering inside me day after day. I long for the day when this fire rages again. Like it used to before I smothered it with life. Before kids, before mortgages, bills, illnesses and medical interventions, there was something else on my mind. It was fuelled by almost everything around me and grew stronger with every use. This was something that took me through dark spiralling tunnels, across cobalt blue seas with purple monkeys swimming and up mossy green mountains that whispered cool breezes. It sparked all my  senses and tugged at my heart. It sent shivers down my spine and excitement in my belly. And sometimes it paid. My creativity was ignited by an imagination as unique as every snowflake that falls. The words came to me, the stories flowed and the imagery made sense. I created eloquent editorial and powerful prose. But somehow along the way I lost my creative spirit. I pushed it away. I pushed it down. I pushed d

Will cancer or climate change be the end to humanity?

Someday the human race as we know it will not exist. As proven through time, history has a tendancy of repeating itself. Simply put, we haven't always existed so at some point we too will become extinct. I recently watched an intriguing documentary about the earth, its formation and evolution through time. The science of our universe as depicted in the series 'Cosmos' is fascinating - even if regurgitated information from grade school geography and science. The show strives to bring the relevance of the past to the future and how we continue to be affected. http://www.cosmosontv.com/ http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/57608648-223/cosmos-fox-science-sunday.html.csp It definately got me excited about science and the fact it airs on Fox and produced by Family Guy's Seth McFarlane does not make it any less credible. After watching, I questioned life as we see it today... and how that in billions of years from now the world will be a very different pla

The aftermath is MESSY

We are on the road to recovery!  Physically, Xavier is improving daily with his regular physio and pure determination only a child possesses. He is learning to walk again and use his left side, all while building back the muscle he lost.  He has at least another month of treatment left, but we are so fortunate we can manage it at home and at a dose that causes fewer side effects than he faced last month.  Xavier is determined and I admire that in children. The lack of self-pity in kids we have seen  on his cancer ward are so inspiring. Instead they use that energy to heal, and set goals for recovery.   Still there are residual symptoms that are concerning. He is choking on liquids more frequently, suffering from reflux and is unable to move his toes on his left foot. Seems minor but as he tries to walk now his toes curl under his foot and trip him. Who knew how important straightening your toes are!  But the lingering side effect of treatment is always the emotional scars